Thursday, June 19, 2008

New Kid on the Block....Day 5

Rupantar, the 3100 mile race director, is trying out something new this morning for the 6 am start. He hopes to play one of Sri Chinmoy's prayers before the runners leave the lines. At the moment there are a few technical difficulties.




The clock waits for no one, and yet everyone arrives on time. No one seems rushed at this time of the morning.




Abichal, I hope has found something bitter in his yogurt and is not giving the photographer
a, "heh you," look.


Suprabha, is more than relaxed and ready for the day ahead.





Christopher is applying some good old Swiss science to race shoe management. Pavol uses good old Slovak science for his race shoe management. These are the two new kids on the block. More of Pavol in a moment.




I am not quite sure why, but Asprihanal
has some Finnish documents for fellow runner Sopan to fill out.







Minutes to go and Smarana is ready and Pranab has one last little alteration to do to today's shoes.







Radha's singers encourage the runners

"I think it is all Guru's grace what we are doing here." Pavol is emphatic, as he describes what he is experiencing here, in this, his first 3100 mile race. He has run many ultras, but just 3 multi day races prior to this one.

I ask him, if there is a difference between the 10 day race and this. "Absolutely different than 6 & 10," he says with conviction. He goes on to describe, that here, every day is what counts. Today is the 5th day only in numbers. For him only the present exists and how he deals with that. "I don't think of tomorrow. Not good, only today." He is smiling with such calm as he says, "Today is nice, what tomorrow will be, I don't know."

He describes the importance of happiness. "I try to be happy all the time, it is very important to be happy. Smiling gives you more energy." He tells me this, after describing his previous night, in which he was unable to sleep. He feels that he had about an hours real rest the night before. Despite this, he does not complain, and instead feels that each day, he is getting into better race shape. Right now he feels that he is about 90% there.

He tells me that his road, to getting here, began 8 years ago when he became a disciple and first read about the 700 mile race. He was very inspired by it. He tells me that fellow 3100 mile runner Pranab, who is more experienced than he, helped him prepare for this race. He advised him in shoes, clothes, medical and everything. He says, that all this advice helped, and has made his entry into the world of the 3100 mile race, much easier.

He says that the race, simplifies his life in many ways. "There is only running and sleeping." In this regard of course, adequate attention must be made, so that the body can adapt to the task.

He tells me how important the spiritual heart is in this race. "When we use the mind it is not good for this race." It should be all about the heart he says. I tell him that it sounds exactly like Sri Chinmoy's poem entitled, The Absolute. He smiles and says, "that poem is this race."

He tells me that for him, listening to Sri Chinmoy's music, on his headset is a very important motivator for him. He tells me how, on the second day of the race, he was listening to something else, and that he was tired. The next day, he just played Sri Chinmoy's music, and it felt like pure energy to him. He tells me, "I felt Guru with me all the time, it was so nice."

He also describes yesterday, as being very special for him as well. He points to the road in front of us and gestures. "I was looking and he was here, not the body, but he was here just the same."

I ask him to describe the 3100 mile race for me. He says, " I like the 3100, no more, I love it."

The Absolute

No mind, no form, I only exist;

Now ceased all will and thought;

The final end of Nature's dance,

I am it whom I have sought.

A realm of Bliss bare, ultimate;

Beyond both knower and known;

A rest immense I enjoy at last;

I face the One alone.

I have crossed the secret ways of life,

I have become the Goal.

The Truth immutable is revealed;

I am the way, the God-Soul.

My spirit aware of all the heights,

I am mute in the core of the Sun.

I barter nothing with time and deeds;

My cosmic play is done.

Excerpt from My Flute by Sri Chinmoy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This most difficult battles can be won only with the great champion, the
love for our Guru.

"Before you go to sleep, do not forget to ask for your Lord's Protection. If your consciousness is high, you will not have to worry about unwanted nightmare-friends.
(unofficial quote)